By. Natalie Lupinski
Temptation is everywhere, especially when you’re on the ‘get-fit’ track. Success in conquering this beast however, is well worth the temporarily uncomfortable struggle. It takes a great deal of self-discipline and understanding. For help staying on track and reaching the top, follow these guidelines:
1. Drink water- Upon rising every morning, drink about 1 liter of pure water each day to give your digestive system a delicate wake up, and to re-hydrate after a long night’s rest. As for the rest of the day, guzzle another 3-6 liters depending on the day’s activity level. The goal here is to have clear urine all throughout the day, and yes, you will be going to the bathroom all day.
2. Move it!- You know how they say it’s not good to leave a car just sitting for days on end. You have to rev the engine every now and again. Do something you love, and explore new activities that’ll get your heart racing. Discover your workout personality: day or night, gym or home, cardio-base, weights, or a combination, alone or with a partner. Be sure to make exercising a main priority during the day, even if it’s as gentle as walking and stretching. But remember the tough stuff works, so push yourself hard from time to time and break a sweat!
3. Stay prepared! This is a big one. You know cravings are inevitable, so keep delicious, but healthy options on hand.
4. Quality over Quantity/ Whole Foods!
ü Stop worrying about the numbers people! Nobody ever liked math anyways. For longevity and lookin’ good, understand that food is fuel. You regenerate new cells every day and you need to keep in mind that old saying, ‘you are what you eat,’ is very true. Do you want your cells to be made up of gooey over-processed, system-slowing, foods? Or of oxygen (illness’s worse enemy) and enzyme-rich foods?
5. Eat fruit for breakfast. A lot of fruit.
6. Go to a class- be it a healthy cooking class or an athletic class. Here you will feel motivated and you’ll be surrounded by others who share your same priorities. A fun, positive atmosphere, not to mention learning something new!
7. Maximize quick-exit foods like fruits and vegetables, minimize or eliminate all meats and dairy. These foods saturate the body with mucoid-plaque buildup and putrefy in your system for days and even weeks. Imagine what happens to a slice of beef sitting open on a counter for 3-4 days. Then imagine it sitting in your colon at 98.7 degrees! Breeding ground for all types of nasty stuff.
8. Dry brush your skin. The lymphatic system is the dumpster of our bodies where channels carry waste to dump sites like behind our knees, in our groin, and near our neck and arm pits- a reason why breast and prostate cancer are so popular. So KEEP CLEAN! Dry-brushing stimulates proper movement and flow for drainage. Use a natural bristled body-brush you can find at any health-food store or online. Begin with your body completely dry and naked, start at the clavicle and brush in tiny outward strokes or circles. Starting here is good because it wakes up and stimulates one of the larger dumping sites in this area. Then continue these strokes up the legs and arms, as well as the torso being sure to brush as much skin as possible. Daily practice will not only aid in waste removal of inner toxins, but also leaves your skin smoother than you’ve even known it to be. Fact.
9. Understand proper digestive/colon health. I can’t stress enough how important our colon is. Maximum nutrient-absorption happens inside these thick-ribbed tissues that make the walls of this very long tube. Years of eating foreign, highly-processed, chemically-laden foods and fleshes, remain clogged and lodged in every microscopic crevice. Regular cleansing through enemas or properly-administered colonics, are important. Coffee solutions are especially recommended. Caffeine, when in the colon for a period of 12-15 minutes, opens up all the little ducts and capillaries, allowing unwanted, old, packed-on waste-matter to release off the walls, and exit the body. Also during this process the liver becomes fully saturated with the coffee, and every three minutes your blood circulates here, also becoming cleansed.
10. Get outside! There’s nothing like fresh air and sunshine. Even a few minutes of direct sun shining upon your face can benefit you. And don’t forget to breathe- so often are there times where the simple task of breathing becomes almost forgotten about and shallow. Really get a good inhale and exhale in on each breath. Feel invigorated!